August 28, 2009

My Cholelithiasis Story Part 3

August 18, 2009 - Went to Dr. L's office in Manila Doctors Hospital early in the morning. As soon as the doctor saw the results from the other hospital, he said: "I know this doctor and I am sure we have the same recommendation - surgery." I replied by shaking my head and said: "No doc, he advised that my gallstones were "silent" and that I needed to come back to him for more tests when the pain resurfaces." Dr. L was surprised. He said: "I am confused with his recommendation. When you went to that hospital, weren't you in pain?" I replied: "Yes doc and they gave me Demerol for it because no other pain reliever works." and then he said: "That's exactly my point! "Silent" means that the gall stones are present but the patient does not feel any pain. The fact that only Demerol relieves you of your pain means the pain is intense. I am surprised you can even walk!" The husbo and I just looked at each other and shrugged. Dr. L shook his head and said: "Looking at this ultrasound result, I recommend that you go to the admission office immediately, get a room and then we will do another ultrasound to double check."

So we were admitted to Manila Doctors Hospital that day. I was surprised that the rooms were very affordable, clean and bigger than my room at the other hospital! By this time, the pain is still tolerable but is now concentrated on the upper right side of my abdomen. Everytime I move, I feel shooting pains so I was really uncomfortable.

The surgeon dropped by to check on me and he agrees with Dr. L. He suggests that surgery takes place as soon as possible due to the position of the gallstones and based on the pain that I was feeling he thinks my gall bladder is now inflamed. So surgery was scheduled the next day but not before the ultrasound procedure as they wanted to make sure on the status of my gall bladder.

August 19, 2009 - In spite of the pain, I was happy I had the husbo bring me to Manila Doctors Hospital. A doctor did the ultrasound and was explaining the things he was seeing. True enough my gall bladder was dangerously inflamed and contrary to the ultrasound done at the other hospital, the stone on the neck was not 1.3cm but 2.2cm! They called my doctors right away and surgery was good to go.

So hungry but couldn't eat anything as I was on fasting for the surgery. After about an hour, I was taken to the Operating Room. Boy was it cold! All I could remember was the anesthesiologist telling me they were putting me to sleep and the mask and then I was off to lala land! LOL! Next thing I knew, someone was shouting my name and telling me I was in the recovery room. Surgery done! I felt the burning pain due to the incision but it was tolerable and a mighty relief from the previous kind of pain I felt. I asked for pain relievers and then I slept again.

Woke up in my room and my family was there. An hour after I was already walking to the bathroom to pee! lol! Felt feverish in the afternoon. My head felt like it was going to explode. By evening my temperature was at 38.8. The nurses gave me some paracetamol and the fever went down.

August 20, 2009 - Was feeling okay in the morning. The surgeon dropped by to check on me and said I can be discharged by Saturday. Was also advised to walk once in a while to help recovery. Green light given for clear liquids intake. Woohoo! Super hungry! By afternoon, felt the same blinding headache but chose to sleep it off. Early evening, I was shaking, felt so cold even with aircon turned off. The husbo called the nurse and they monitored my temperature. At around 9PM, my temp was at 38.9 already and the husbo can feel the heat emanating from me. I was also incoherent, drifting in and out of consciousness. Scared, he called the nurse's station and they gave him a towel, basin and a block of ice. They said to keep bathing me in ice cold water to keep the heat down. The husbo kept at it all night (Thank God for a wonderful husband!) and thankfully my fever broke the next day.

August 21, 2009 - Doctors came to check on me and said that fever must have been my reaction to the antibiotics. Given green light to eat solid foods the next day. Woohoo! Feeling better now, walking already. Thank God for binders!

August 22, 2009 - Last check on my incision from the surgery team and I was cleared for discharge. Went home to rest.

Looking back, I am glad we went and got a second opinion. It pays to do that. If ever you doubt a doctor's diagnosis, go ahead and get a second opinion or even a third. It is your right. Also, I learned from experience that a fancy hospital with a hotel-like feel to it does not mean great service. Even if they claim to be one of the world's best. Pick a hospital where you will be treated right and treated well.

That's my story. I hope you can find it useful. Leave a comment or email me if you have any questions. I'll do a separate post on my disappointment with the other hospital and some thanks and commendation to the team at Manila Doctors Hospital. :)

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...